Hope for the Girl-Child Foundation (HGCF) began in January 2013 following a plea on Facebook to give back to our society. Our passion for the education and mentor-ship of young girls grows strong each day. We began simply as a group of young women, who, by contributing Ksh. 500 each every month, hoped to send an intelligent, less privileged girl to school. Along the way, we have relied on friends and family to further our cause, and we are forever grateful.
Below, please find a quick update on the girls who we have supported. In total, we have fully taken in 11 girls:
- Seline Akoth; Ng’iya Girls High School; (2013-2014),
- Everlyine Anyango; Ng’iya Girls High School; (2013-2014)
- Faith Atieno; Asumbi Girls High School; (2014-2016)
- Keziah Juma; St. Stephen’s Siginga Mixed; (2015-2018)
- Christine Awuor Odhiambo; Kuja Special Secondary; (2015-2018)
- Merceline Awino; Lifunga Girls Secondary; (2015-2018)
- Beryl Esther Ogalo; Asumbi Girls High School; (2017-2020)
- Stacy Rose Oloo, Sironga Girls High School; (2018-2021)
- Corazine Abuya; St. Clare’s Maragoli; (2018-2021)
- Margaret Ng’ong’a; Mbaga Girls High School; (2018-2021)
- MaryLucky Anyango; Raliew Secondary; (2018-2021)
We do visit our girls and mentor them on issues of school, life, and future careers. Our hope is that we shall inspire these girls to dream beyond the situations they have been through in life, and that they will see education as a powerful tool that can take them to greater heights. Our first three girls are done with high school and two are now at various stages of their university life as follows:
- Everlyne Anyango; Bachelor of Cooperative Management, Kisii University.
- Faith Atieno; Bachelor of Geo-spatial Engineering, Technical University of Kenya.
We do appreciate all the members of HGCF, friends; both local and international, strangers, who have helped us and held our hands on this journey. Your generosity and kindness has been humbling. To think that when we began, our slogan was, “Women can change this world, one girl at a time,” we can only marvel at the support and the achievements we have had so far.
Today we keep pushing boundaries. We keep reaching out to friends, family and supporters for that extra push to take our work to the next level. We take any contribution given with the utmost gratitude and humility. Any contributions can be made in the following ways:
- MPESA +254 718019242.
- MPESA Paybill: 400200, Account Number: 01103530060800. Co-operative Bank of Kenya.
- Direct Account Transfers: Swift Code: KCOOKENA, Sort Code: 11045, Account Number: 01103530060800, Address: 31, 339 Nairobi (00600).
- Buy a copy of the book “Beyond the Crevices” from Amazon or by sending Ksh. 990 through the Buy goods till number 879707 (Enaipokui Ltd.)
May all those who do whatever they can to uplift another, be greatly blessed.
With Kind Regards,
Maurine Atieno Songa,
1 thought on “First blog post”
Reblogged this on Hope for the Girl Child Foundation.